Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pets

Yesterday we had two cats and a parrot. Today we have two fish and a snail.

When Matt and I had been married for 2 years we decided to get a pet. We did a little research and chose to get an African Grey parrot. Tucker joined our family in 2002. He was our baby for a long time. He talks a little bit, imitates a lot of sounds and actually "cuddles" with me while I watch TV.



Tucker eating a grape.


In 2005, we decided to add some fur to our family so we got two kittens. Those big boys were a lot of fun. They were so good with the kids. Joey and Claire picked them up, layed on them and chased them and they were always good sports about it.




Jake and Jesse



Unfortunately, Joey has developed allergies to cats and birds. We found a great home for the cats next door to Matt's parents. It was hard to give them up but, hopefully, it will really make a difference for Joey. By the way, he doesn't know that's why we gave them away. When we arrived home last night, cat-less, Joey was very frustrated and sad. After a few minutes of running around the house smacking things with a reflex hammer, I asked him if he would feel a little better if we got some fish. He perked up immediately, said yes, and was totally fine after that.



Today we dropped off Tucker at a friend's house for one month so we can thoroughly clean the house and see how much of a difference it makes for Joey. Afterwards, we stopped at PetsMart, as promised, to get some fish. I didn't want anything fancy for right now so I asked the PetsMart fish lady to point out some low maintenance species. We looked at a couple and decided on Glofish. Joey chose a green one. Claire, who had been in a bad mood all day, emphatically declared that she didn't want a fish. I chose a pink one. In the tank with the fish was a snail. I asked the employee about the snail and she said it would eat the algae and help keep the tank clean. And it only cost $1.99 so I was sold. I told the kids that it would be Daddy's snail. Since Claire didn't want to chose a fish, she got to chose the color of the aquarium rocks. She was pretty happy about that. So, without further ado, meet Light, Car and Water (all names chosen by Joey).




Light (green fish on the right), Car (pink fish near the bottom of the sign), Water (suctioned to front wall of bowl)



I have to say that I have never been a huge fan of snails but this little guy is pretty cool. He hasn't stopped moving since we brought him home 3 hours ago. Since the tank isn't dirty yet I was told to put some kind of veggie in the tank for the snail to eat. It is hard to see but there is a piece of lettuce in the rocks in front of the sign. He did find it and took a few nibbles, I think. He can also pick up rocks with his foot.


The kids seemed excited about their new pets. The novelty will probably wear off in a few days but maybe not.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

I'm sorry about Tucker and Jesse and Jake :(

but I think the novelty of the fish might last a little longer than you may expect. Ever since I got my betta fish, Joey ALWAYS asks to feed him when he comes over (and Claire sometimes too, when she decides she likes me for that day haha)