Friday, April 9, 2010

Loss

We lost someone very special this past week. Bob was my stepdad and Papa Nelson to the kids. He passed away quietly Wednesday evening, with my mom by his side, after a full day of being surrounded by family and friends. We will miss him very much. Joey had known that Papa had been sick for quite a while now but I told him that Papa was going to die soon about a week before he passed. Joey had been asking a lot of questions and had been wanting to "check" on Papa and Grandma Nelson frequently. When I told him Papa had died Wednesday night, I was teary. He asked me why I was sad. I told him I was sad because I was going to miss Papa. I asked him if he was sad and he said no. There was a short pause and I thought he hadn't understood but then he explained that he was happy because Papa was in heaven now with God and that he wasn't sick anymore. I guess he did understand after all. What a sweet little boy.
Here are some recent pictures of Papa and the kids.
Joey helping Papa open a Christmas present.

Claire and Papa in early March.

Claire and Papa eating soup together in March.

3 comments:

Keith and Kelly said...

Brenda, I'm sorry to hear that he is gone, but so glad that his suffering is over. I was thinking about you and the family often as my Grammi was passing away too. It's especially hard when someone who is still relatively young goes home. It's interesting to hear Joey's response. Koen's was pretty much the same. I cried as I told him. He looked at me like I was crazy and told me he loved me..... I asked if he was sad. He said no, because she was in Heaven. They're so matter of fact about it. IT's child-like faith, I guess. Maybe it will hit them down the road when they realize this person is gone. Praying for you and your family too.

Jóhanna said...

Hi Bren,

Sometimes I try to catch up on people's blogs, and yours is one of them. I only just saw this one now... and I'm so very sorry to read about this news, for you and for your whole family, and especially your mom. I'm glad your kids got to know Bob as much as they did, and I hope they will hold on to those memories of him.

Peace be with you,
Johanna

karissa said...

Hi Brenda,
It was good to see you even briefly at the memorial for your stepdad. I left feeling like I'd known him and wishing that I had. He sounded like an incredible man. I'm sorry I had to leave quickly, I could feel s surge of tears and made a run for my car. But I was so glad to be there and to honor your stepdad's memory.

Love,
Karissa